How is subject photography different from any other type?
Most of us are accustomed to thinking of shooting as a way to convey the aesthetic appearance of a subject. But with the help of subject photography, it is possible to go much further and, in addition, to display the characteristics of the subject and its texture. This technology can be used both for shooting a single object located on a neutral background, and for compositions that are united by one idea or purpose. Most often, owners of online stores are interested in subject photography, but it is also widespread among bloggers, as well as owners of restaurants and publishing houses.
Properly executed product photography allows you to demonstrate the subject with its detailed characteristics to a wide audience. In online stores, this is extremely important, because the buyer places an order looking solely at the image of the product. Also, the technology is used to convey as realistic as possible the look of the finished dish or cocktail when designing the menu in restaurants and bars. It depends on the quality of the shooting whether the client wants to buy your product or whether he prefers to turn to competitors.
How is subject shooting going?
A high-quality photograph of an object must harmoniously combine the characteristics of the object or composition and the background. To create high-quality shots during subject shooting, you must complete all the steps, namely:
- Brief. The customer voices his wishes regarding the shooting to the photographer. The concept of the entire project is determined, and the team decides which specialists need to be involved in the implementation of the project.
- Training. All objects that need to be captured are prepared for shooting. If the item is defective, the damage must be replaced or repaired. A suitable background is selected, and equipment is also configured. The lighting is set, the optimal angle is selected.
- Shooting. The photographer leaves for the shooting location. It can be a studio, outdoor location or indoors. At this stage, the decorative elements that will be required to create a colorful and interesting frame are exposed.
- Treatment. Finished photos are corrected using software. You can change the color of pictures, their contrast using color correction. It is undesirable to skip this stage when shooting subject matter, because with the help of processing you can improve the lighting in photographs and add a special atmosphere to them.
- Seal. It will be required if the customer needs to have material printed on paper. If this is not necessary, then the finished images are transferred to the client in electronic form. They are recorded on portable media – a disk, a flash drive, a memory card.
What are the types of subject photography?
Despite the fact that this type of shooting is most often used by owners of online stores, there are several other genres in which it is in demand. Namely:
- Advertising. The main task of the photographer is to shoot the product in such a way as to encourage the buyer to purchase it. During shooting, you need to convey all the characteristics of the object from the favorable side, including paying attention to its texture and design.
- Foot photography. It is in demand among owners of restaurants, cafes, bars, as well as owners of culinary blogs. During product shooting, food must be removed so that it encourages the buyer to purchase it. The object should have an attractive, appetizing appearance, but besides the food itself, other objects can be present in the frame to create a complete composition.
- Flatley. The main feature of this type of shooting is that it is carried out at an angle of 90 degrees in relation to the object. The shots are very unusual and bright. In addition to the main subject, the photographs contain decorative elements to create a unique composition.
- Photos of large items. We are talking about goods of large sizes, for example, large furniture, vehicles or household appliances. When shooting, you need to carefully monitor the lighting.